Alicia Bayer over at Examiner has developed a quick list of 19 foods to detox radiation, including brown rice, kelp and miso. But, she notes, “there are plenty of foods that naturally protect our bodies from radiation.” Read the full list over at Examiner.
Food Freedom News has been collecting radiation detox foods, supplements and practices since the Fukushima disaster. So, drawing on past articles, we’ve come up with the following summaries:
In addition to “organic apples with the skin on (and the wax rubbed off), or applesauce,” Dr. Ilya Sandra Perlingieri suggests we also “drink unfiltered, organic apple juice with Bragg’s Aminos (1 teaspoon per 8 oz for adults). Apple pectin is a known aid (and helped the children at Chernobyl); and it actually binds with various radioactive particles.”
Elderberry Syrup, avocados and lemons, and the following supplements in your radiation detox program are recommended:
Vitamin C daily with bioflavinoids [this helps with C absorption] and rutin: Adults: 2-3 grams daily.
Vitamin B-Complex: For adults, 50 mg (max) of each of the major B vitamins (B-1, B-2, B-5 [called the “anti-stress” vitamin], B-6, and B-12).
Vitamin A with mixed carotenoids, Vitamin E and Coenzyme Q-10. (no dosages given).
Vitamin D-3: 1,000 mg of Vitamin D-3 daily.
Dr Perlingieri also recommends lemon-honey-fresh ginger-root tea, organic bee pollen and buckwheat flour.
Melissa Patterson, ND, has posted a more extensive list of radiation resistance foods which includes the above, and provides dosages (for adults).
“Dr. Segura recently posted an important page on the Net that introduces DMSO (dimethyl sulfoxide). We need extra sulfur in our systems to help protect and treat radiation contamination. Segura published that,
‘Sulfur has a long history of use as an antidote for acute exposure to radioactive material. DMSO is the classical sulfur compound. Remember that boosting your body’s detox capabilities and overall antioxidant levels is a key to survive in these stressful times.’
“DMSO is also an effective painkiller. It blocks nerve conduction fibers that produce pain. It reduces inflammation and swelling by reducing inflammatory chemicals. It improves blood supply to an area of injury by dilating blood vessels and increasing delivery of oxygen and by reducing blood platelet stickiness. It stimulates healing, which is a key to its usefulness in any condition. It is among the most potent free radical scavengers known to man, if not the most potent one.
“DMSO is useful as a pain reliever, in burns, acne, arthritis, mental retardation, strokes, amyloidosis, head injury, scleroderma; it soothes toothaches, eases headaches, hemorrhoids, muscle strains; it prevents paralysis from spinal chord injuries; it softens scar tissues. In fact, it is useful in well over 300 ailments and is safe to use.
“There are four ways to get sulfur into our systems that I know of. There is DMSO, then sodium Thiosulfate, which I have recommended to people for years to put in their therapeutic baths and can be taken orally as well; there is also Miracle Mineral Supplement (MSM) and of course Epsom salts.”
Then, consider your gardens and dairy. Hawaiian farmers Britton and Shekinah remind us that:
“[M]ilk represents the overall condition of the entire food chain, since cows consume grass and are exposed to the same elements as crops. So, when milk tests positive for radiation, it indicates the entire food chain is contaminated since cows eat grass. When grass is contaminated, everything grown in the same soil is contaminated.”
Their solution? Boron.
“Boron can be safely ingested at a dosage of 4-10 mg per day. Borax, 11% boron, can be used as a tea and sprayed on your gardens, or land surrounding your home, at a rate of 10# of Borax per acre, 1#, if using elemental boron. Borax can also be ingested at 1/8 tsp to 1 litre water for women, ¼ tsp to 1 litre water for men.
“Fortunately, red wine and coffee are significant sources of boron, as well as non-citrus fruits, red grapes, plums, pears, apples, avocados, legumes and nuts! Boron is known to be non-carcinogenic, non-mutagenic and has been used internally to protect the astronauts in space as they leave the earth’s protective magnetic field.”
I love the following list by Ultraculture (some repetition), but she also points out that the higher in the food chain that you eat, the more concentrated the radiation. So, she advises, eat little or no dairy and meat. (That’s tough for this carnivore, and I swear they can’t do anything to pig meat that I won’t like.)
1. Citrus pectin or apple pectin. In supplement form, these have been shown to bind to and remove radioactive materials such as Cesium-137 from the body. (Try citrus pectin here and apple pectin here.)
2. Spirulina and chlorella have both been shown to reduce significantly or even remove radioactive materials in people who were contaminated by the Chernobyl fallout. However, this blue-green algae superfood should probably not be sourced from Japan or nearby waters. (Try spirulina here and chlorella here.)
3. Seaweeds (and green and black teas for that matter) have been shown to neutralize radioactive isotopes in the body, and contain a high amount of protective natural iodine that would definitely protect the thyroid. Many people are claiming that dulse from Ireland is the safest. The jury is still out on California coastal seaweed, with some people even buying Geiger counters to test everything they consume. Geiger counters are rather blunt tools though, and do not tell you the type of isotope involved. I personally would not eat seaweed from the west coast of North America or Japan, but that’s an individual decision. (Try dulse here.)
4. Foods high in carotenes, (vitamin C and E), are natural protectors against radiation induced carcinogenesis. This includes carrots, sweet potatoes, beets, winter squash, kale, collard greens, chard and spinach. (Beta-carotene, however, may actually promote cancer.)
5. The entire cabbage family is high in caffeic acid, which may protect peripheral blood lymphocytes against gamma radiation induced cellular damage. This would include broccoli, cauliflower, arugula, bok choy, radishes, mustard greens and the like.
9. Reishi mushrooms, known in traditional Chinese Medicine as Ling Zhi, have also been noted to increase the white blood cells and increase the overall immune protection of the body, even combating cancer. (Studies on reishi and cancer are varied.) The recommended method is slicing the dried mushroom and simmering for three hours, drinking the concentrated tea.
10. Cilantro removes heavy metals from the body (especially when combined with chlorella), and milk thistle is another herb that supports the liver in removing toxins. Bentonite clay has been touted as doing the same through binding and removing the foreign substances.
So despite radiation worries, there are some things you can load up on to lessen your toxic intake. In the meantime, coconut water is high in potassium, and can make you a lot more relaxed while waiting for the next shoe to drop. Peace.
And, finally, I must promote a product I myself take daily. Juice Plus is a blend of 25 superfoods and grains, grown without herbicide or pesticides, checked six times in the process of drying it, then encapsulating it. Juice Plus bridges the gap for those who do not eat enough fruits and veggies on a daily basis, and it keeps me healthy.